Have you ever experienced discontinuous internet connection while surfing the web, streaming movies or playing online games? Are you unable to do your online tasks? Has your boss has put the question mark on your dedication? Well, we understand the frustrations you are experiencing because of slow internet connection. But, there is no need to blow a fuse. Luckily! You have landed on the right post. Here, we have sum up 7 ways through which you can improve your Linksys RE6500 extender’s performance. Let’s take the plunge!
Position Your Linksys RE6500 Extender in an Open Space
Interference-creating obstructions like metal filing cabinets, thick walls, electric pipes, etc. might limit your wireless connection. And the more obstruction is between your Linksys extender, router and computer, the more you experience WiFi interference.
To improve your extender’s performance, place it in an open and higher place away from interfering. Similarly, placing your extender in a corner of your house or worse in the basement can reduce the WiFi range and capacity. So, placing your extender in a central location can significantly improve your WiFi range and performance.
Change the Wireless Channel
Your Linksys RE6500 extender use specific channels to send and receive data. The extenders operating on a certain channel, the slower all their WiFi-connections would be.
If the majority of surrounding extenders are using channel 1, 6 or 11 for instance, those user will suffer from slow and sluggish internet connection. Switching to different channel can improve your Linksys extender’s WiFi range and performance.
- Log in to http//extender.linksys.com to change your RE6500 wireless channel.
Update your Linksys Extender’s Firmware
Like any hardware, your extender can also fall out of date. Your Linksys device’s manufacturer routinely rolls out new firmware to fixes bugs, increases performance and reliability and enhance security. To get the job done:
- Log in to your extender via extender.linksys.com.
- Enter the admin password for your RE6500.
- You will be redirected to the Linksys extender’s web-based setup base.
- Select the Firmware Upgrade option under the Administration section.
- Click on Choose File.
- Select the Firmware file and click on Open.
- Hit the Start Upgrade button and the latest firmware will start updating on your device.
To prevent any issue between the firmware update process, do not touch your extender’s power button or click on any link. In short, do not interrupt the firmware update process.
Set up Your Linksys Extender Properly
If you haven’t performed Linksys RE6500 setup process properly, then also you may experience slow internet connection issue. In order to improve your device’s performance, set up your Linksys extender properly using the correct configuration steps.
Replace your Linksys Extender’s Antennas
Although new Linksys extender’s feature internal antennas, which are a bit difficult to modify or replace but a few still uses external antennas. These antennas are omnidirectional. They are capable of covering every nook and cranny of your house. However, if your Linksys extender is positioned near an in the corner of your home and you can’t move it, half or more of the WiFi signals will be lost.
Installing a high-gain antenna can enhance your extender’s signal strength. Besides, if an omnidirectional antenna works best for you, consider purchasing a longer antenna for the best extender’s WiFi performance.
Update the WiFi Adapter Drivers
Like your Linksys extender, your wireless adapter also needs periodic updates. To improve your extender’s performance, update the WiFi adapters right away.
- Head to Device Manager in the Control Panel.
- Once you are in there, expand Network Adapters to find your adapter’s make and model.
- Navigate to the manufacturer’s website.
- Download the latest drivers for your Linksys extender.
Change the Linksys extender’s Settings
The next way to improve your extender’s performance is to change its default settings. All you need to do is to:
- Access the Linksys extender login page.
- Once there, you can change the default settings. It is also suggested to change the admin password of your Linksys extender in order to secure your device from potential threats.