Home Technology All You Need to Know About White Gold

All You Need to Know About White Gold

Gold IRA

Many people these days are opting for this sparkling precious metal to create pieces of jewellery for themselves. While everyone is enamoured by the pristine beauty of white gold, many often wonder ‘what is white gold’?

Usually, gold is associated a bright yellow metal that has been worn for ages. But for the last few years, white gold is seeing a lot of interest from connoisseurs of jewellery. Created to imitate platinum, white gold is its more affordable alternative.

If it’s got your attention too, here’s everything you need to know about white gold.

What exactly is white gold?

White gold is an alloy. This means that it is a metal that doesn’t occur naturally. It contains almost 75% yellow gold. The remaining 25% includes zinc and nickel. It may also be combined with copper, palladium, manganese, or silver.

White gold is also plated with rhodium to give it its unmistakable gorgeous sheen and lustre. Rhodium comes from the same metal family as platinum and helps white gold maintain its shine. That’s why a white gold ring may almost look like platinum in the right light.

When out on gold jewellery shopping, often people ask whether it is even real gold? The answer is yes! With a major part of the metal being pure yellow gold, it is a real precious metal.

Why is gold mixed with alloys?

Pure gold is an extremely soft and fragile metal. A piece of jewellery made from pure gold will eventually break or warp within years and months of use and wear. Mixing it with other elements like palladium, zinc, and nickel strengthens gold and makes it more durable. This also changes the traditional aesthetics of yellow gold, making it appear cooler and of course stunning!

Why does white gold start looking like yellow gold with use?

Over time, the rhodium coating on your white gold jewellery may wear out. This reveals the original colour of yellow gold underneath and is a natural and normal process. How quickly this wearing out happens depends on several factors. These include the amount and frequency of toiletries used, pollution, exposure to water, and the pH level of your skin.

To maintain the gorgeous beauty of your jewellery, you need to get it recoated with rhodium every two years. This can easily be done at most jeweller stores.

What are some popular white gold jewellery styles?

White gold jewellery is available in a range of options to match everyone’s style. You can shop for the latest rings in white gold, earrings, bracelets, and necklaces.

Why is white gold more expensive than yellow gold?

As long as it is hallmarked at the same carat weight, there is not much price difference between white and yellow gold jewellery. This is because they contain the same percentage of gold.

However, you may find white gold jewellery to be slightly more expensive than yellow gold jewellery simply because of its manufacturing process and rhodium coating.

How should you care for your white gold jewellery?

After learning about white gold, you must be thinking that it would need a lot of work to maintain. That’s not true. With a few easy tips, you can keep your jewellery looking like new always:

  • Keep your jewellery away from water as much as possible. The chlorine in water can react with the rhodium plating and lead to discolouration.
  • Store your white gold jewellery pieces separately. Never mix them with other metals to avoid scratches and tarnishing.
  • Remove your jewellery before sleeping or doing any manual work.
  • Regularly clean your jewellery with mild dish soap and warm water.

If you love the gorgeous and classic sheen of silver or platinum, then white gold jewellery is the perfect choice for you. It is durable, contemporary, versatile, and more affordable than platinum.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here