Are you trying to save money on your home’s energy bills? Perhaps you’ve heard all about the benefits of solar panel electricity but aren’t quite sure how to make it happen for you.
The best place to start is to have a frank conversation with the pros. Here are some questions you should ask potential solar panel installation firms. Get their answers before you pay a single penny.
What To Ask When Installing Residential Solar Panels
Converting to a solar panel home means asking the pros the right questions before work begins. Here are some questions you should ask your potential solar panel installation company before ahead of time. Their answers could make or break the deal.
Will Solar Panels Work On My House?
Solar panel installation works best on houses that face the south, southwest, or southeast direction in sunny states. Residential roofs should measure at least 200 square feet in area. Rooftops should also be clear from any chimney or tree shadows as well.
Questions to ask your installation company should include:
- Do you know how much sun my state receives? (The real pros will consult the website Energy.gov and tell you what your home’s solar energy potential is.)
- What kind of solar panel make/model will work on my house? How many will I need?
- What’s the total kilowatt system size I’ll need for my house?
- How much electricity (in kilowatt-hours (kWh) can I expect from this system, per year?
How Much Will Solar Panel Installation Cost Me?
Ask multiple installers to provide you a free, detailed quote to find the right price and system that works for your home. These quotes will also give you a good idea if the expense of the new system today is higher or lower than what you think your electric bills will be in the future.
Questions to ask installers on price include:
- What is the total project cost before and after any governmental incentives are considered?
- Does your quote include costs per multiple inverter/panel? Does it include fees for a solar battery?
- What solar incentives do I qualify for? (The best installers will let you know that homeowners can claim a federal tax credit up to 30% of their solar installation expenses when taxes are due. They’ll also check to see what incentives and credits your state offers from this database on available incentives.)
- Do you offer discounts if I pay cash?
Solar Panel Company Qualifications
Try to find a solar company that’s licensed to work where you live. Make sure they have liability insurance as well. You can also check to see if these professionals are certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP).
Questions to ask the solar panel installer about their qualifications include:
- How long have you been in this business?
- Do you have a NABCEP-certification?
- Can I have your business license number?
- Will you share references from previous customers?
- Do you hire subcontractors for your jobs?
Ready To Hire A Pro?
Are you ready to launch your solar panel installation project? Your first step is to find an online solar calculator and figure out what long-term savings you might realize.
When it’s time to collect quotes, call multiple solar installation companies. Compare their bids to find a plan that fits your budget.
Don’t hesitate to ask these pros the questions above. When you have their answers, you’ll be just one step closer to securing the system that works best for you.